Curious as to what type of dog crate to get for your new pooch? Whether you are a new dog owner or you have had dogs for years, choosing the right dog crate for your pet can be a bit overwhelming if you are unsure of what to look for. Versatility, security, ease of use and portability are consistently considered to be key aspects in finding the best crate on the market.
Best Dog Crate Reviews
1. Precision Pet Pro-Valu Double Door Wire Crate
Perfect for the consumer who is on a meager budget, this dog crate will get the job done without draining your bank account. This crate offers your dog a safe and secure environment to enjoy while you are away.
With the ability to fold flat and easily assemble without the use of tools, you can take this crate with you on trips or move it around your house without a hassle.
Available in a variety of sizes, no matter how big or small your dog is, you will be able to find a crate that fits your needs. This crate offers a 5-point locking system and double doors that makes it easy for you to load or unload your dog whether you are in the house or in a vehicle. With an easy to clean and durable pan that is removable, you won’t have to worry about fighting with the cage to clean up accidents.
- Sturdy Wire Kennel: This dog crate for medium dogs has a 5-point precision lock system & includes a removal pan & divider panel for maximum security & access. Rounded corners ensure the portable kennel is snag-free.
- Kennels & Houses: Crate & kennel training is vital for dog safety & comfort. We provide traditional travel carriers, wire training & exercise kennels, play pens, barn-style dog houses & more.
- Precision Pet: Precision Pet offers a variety of heavy-duty products such as wire crates, chicken coops & rabbit hutches that provide pets with a cozy & safe place to rest, nest & feed. Also features litter box accessories & more.
- Just For Pets: Petmate makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, chickens & other small furry friends! Check out our brands such as Aspen Pet, Arm & Hammer, Booda, Chuckit!, Jackson Galaxy & more!
What's to like about the Precision Pet Pro-Valu Double Door Wire Crate
Unlike most budget-friendly dog crates, this Precision Pet ProValu model is built to last with a looped wire panel system that creates a stronger platform for securing your dog.
Available in a variety of sizes, you can crate your small Chihuahua or your large German Shepard without a problem. This model also includes a removable plastic pan that is rust resistant and will last you a long while.
Finally, you will also receive a divider panel that can be used to crate more than one pup at a time.
What's not to like about the Precision Pet Pro-Valu Double Door Wire Crate
While this is a great crate for someone who is not looking to spend the money on all of the bells and whistles that are offered on other models, it would be a nice if this product included the paw protection that you can find on other crates.
Paw protection is a feature that is found towards the bottom of the crate and prevents your dog from getting their paws stuck in the frame if they paw at the door.
In addition, there is no manufacturer’s warranty on this model which can be troublesome for those who are looking to keep this crate around for the long haul.
2. AmazonBasics Folding Dog Create
Created and manufactured by Amazon, you can rest assured that you are investing in a high-quality product that is backed by Amazon’s great customer service policy.
Included in your purchase is a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty so you don’t have to worry about replacing it should you experience an accident with your large dog.
Available in a variety of sizes, this dog crate provides double-doors which makes it easy to get your dog in or out of the crate via the side entry or the front of the crate.
While not the cheapest crate on the market, this model will not put a damper on your bank account. Built to last with a heavy duty metal construction, you can crate any kind of dog.
With this crate, you can easily fold it flat and store it or transport it to various locations without worrying about using tools to put it back together.
- Dog crate with double-door design for convenient front and side entry
- Two slide-bolt latches on each door for increased safety and security
- Sturdy metal construction; folds flat for easy storage/portability
- Optional divider panel and removable composite plastic pan included
- Measures approximately 36x23x25 inches (LxWxH)
What's to like about the AmazonBasics Folding Dog Create
If safety is of concern, this crate offers two sliding bolt latches on each door which will ensure that your dog will be safe and sound in his new space.
Whether you need a crate for a puppy or you need to re-instil household rules and boundaries, this crate will work well for you and your dog as it comes with a removable plastic pan for easy clean up and an optional divider panel.
What's not to like about the AmazonBasics Folding Dog Create
While this crate is large enough to fit a big dog, you would not be able to crate more than one dog at a time.
In addition, it is important to note that the side door does not open to be completely flat against the wall of the crate. This should be taken in to consideration if you are looking for a crate that offers both doors that open flat against the wall of the crate.
3. Midwest Folding Metal Dog Crate
Considered to be one of the best crate’s on the market, this Midwest model is offered in a single or double door configuration.
With the ability to fold it flat without the use of tools, this crate is portable and can travel with you or be stored easily when you have guests over.
The patented rounded corners make this crate safer for not only your canine companion but also for yourself and other family members who may get caught on the crate’s edges.
This crate is durable and made of a heavy-duty metal construction. The rounded corners make the crate extra safe along with the double latched doors.
Included in your purchase, you will receive a divider panel, plastic pan, carrying handle, and rubber feet that will not scrape your floors.
In addition, the manufacturer offers a 1-year warranty so you can feel confident in your purchase.
- Double door folding metal dog crate, Life Stages measures 36L x 24W x 27H inches & is suitable for intermediate dog breeds
- Versatile 2 door dog crate includes a FREE divider panel, durable dog tray, carrying handle, "roller" feet to protect floors & a "MidWest Quality Guarantee" 1 year Manufacturer's Warranty. Note, we manufacture the iCrate and the Life Stages Dog Crate. The main difference is the Life Stages is made of heavier gauge steel and has a tighter wire mesh making it stronger than iCrate
- Two heavy duty slide bolt latches (per door) securely lock dog crate door in place keeping your dog safely inside their pet home
- Easy assembly & portable dog crate | Sets up in seconds w/ no tools required for assembly & dog crate folds flat for convenient storage or travel
- Durable design creates a safe place for your pet while you're away & provides for your dog's instinctual "den" instincts. Patented rounded corner clips greatly reduce possible sharp points your dog's crate for a safer experience for you & your dog
What's to like about the Midwest Folding Metal Dog Crate
A 1-year manufacturer’s warranty shows that the company believes in their product so much so that they are willing to replace it should something go wrong. As a consumer, this is a nice perk to have in the back of your head, especially when you are the owner of a large dog.
In addition to a decent warranty, this crate offers rubber feet so you can ensure that your floors do not get damaged when using your crate.
Finally, a sturdy carrying handle, removable plastic pan, and double latching doors make this crate a great value for those who are willing to pay extra for premium features.
It is important to note that some consumers are concerned about the quality of the crate as it is offered at a reasonable price point compared to others with the same features. While this price difference is noticeable, the quality difference is not.
What's not to like about the Midwest Folding Metal Dog Crate
This is a great crate but if you are looking to transport or ship your pet via airplane, this crate is not approved for such activity. In addition, this crate does not come with wheels and therefore cannot be rolled to various locations.
4. New World Folding Metal Dog Crate
This crate is heavy and quite durable, weighing in at just under 42 pounds. A great crate if you are looking to use it for the entirety of your pup’s life.
From potty training to providing your pet with their own space in your home, this crate offers a variety of outstanding features that others have overlooked.
From the leak-proof plastic pan to the 18 gauge wire frame, this crate is worth every penny.
Dog crates for larger breeds can be hard to find, however this New World crate is perfect for the dog that is around 100 pounds.
This crate is made of a highly durable metal construction and can be assembled without tools for easy portability.
- Single door folding metal dog crate. New World dog crate measures 42L x 28W x 30H inches and is suitable for large dog breeds between 71 - 90 pounds
- Folding metal dog crate includes a leak-proof plastic pan & a 1-year Manufacturer's Warranty
- Two heavy duty slide-bolt latches (per door) securely lock dog crate door in place keeping your dog safely inside their pet home
- Folding metal dog crate assembles easily without tools & folds flat for convenient storage, travel & portability inside & outside your home
- Durable metal dog crate design creates a safe place for your pet while you're away & provides for your dog's instinctual inchesden inches instincts
What's to like about the New World Folding Metal Dog Crate
If you are looking for a crate to provide your dog a “den-like” atmosphere while you are away, this is a great option.
There are 2 slide bolts per door so your dog will be safe and secure while inside the crate.
If messes are of concern, the leakproof plastic pan that can easily be removed for cleaning will be quite convenient.
Finally, the manufacturer offers a 1-year warranty so you don’t have to worry about replacing the crate should your pup chew through the heavy metal bars.
What's not to like about the New World Folding Metal Dog Crate
This crate does not come with carrying handles which could be problematic if this is of importance to you.
While this crate is constructed with a heavy 18-gauge wire frame and a 16-gauge wire door, if your dog likes to escape, this crate may not be the right one for you. Consumers have reported having to use zip ties and other contraptions to deter a Houdini-like pup from escaping this crate.
5. EliteField Folding Dog Crate
If size is of concern, this crate is a great option for you as it comes in many sizes. In addition, this crate is also generously wide with an extra 1” on the sides.
The additional 1” provides some extra space for your pup and can come in handy as your dog grows.
In addition to having extra space, this crate folds into a suitcase-like shape which makes it easier than ever to transport or store when not in use.
The EliteField folding dog crate offers great versatility that other brands fail in comparison.
This crate is quite roomy with an additional 1” width than most crates, which allows your dog to spread out and not feel so cramped.
The crate is easy to assemble in minutes without the use of tools and can be transported easily. There are three doors, a front, side, and back door that makes this crate the ultimate in convenience.
All of the doors latch safely with a durable double latch. Another highly coveted features is that the non-skid rubber feet protect your floor from getting scratched when the crate moves.
This crate offers a product quality guarantee, a 100% money-back guarantee, and a customer satisfaction guarantee. The manufacturer is quite confident that you will love this crate or they will give you your money back.
- Size: 48" long x 30" wide x 32" high; the 48" dog crate is 1" wider than some brand 48" crates that are 48"L x 29"W x 32"H, so the dog crate makes your dog feel more spacious; folding suitcase style crate, fully assembled; set-up and fold-down in seconds, no tools needed
- A front, a side and a back door for convenience; two bolt latches with self-locking function on each door for safety; a removable divider for puppy training
- SPECIAL FEATURES: Non-skid rubber feet to protect floor surfaces; slide-out BREAK RESISTANT ABS Pan for easy cleaning; durable satin-black electro-coat finish; carry handles for easy transport
- Material: 3, 6, 8, 9 gauge wires (tip: the smaller the gauge number, the bigger the wire diameter)
- Mesh space: 1-1/3" (smaller mesh space than most other brand crates with 1-1/2" mesh space); Product Quality Guarantee, 100% Money Back Guarantee, Customer Satisfaction Guarantee
What's to like about the EliteField Folding Dog Crate
The manufacturer is so confident in their crate that they offer you any opportunity to return it if you are not satisfied.
Made of durable and high-quality materials, this crate is perfect for the pet owner who is looking for a spacious pet container that can withstand the test of time.
In addition, the ability to access the crate from 3 easy-to-open doors makes this an item that provides the ultimate in convenience.
Finally, this crate comes with a shatterproof plastic tray that can easily be removed for easy cleaning.
What's not to like about the EliteField Folding Dog Crate
While this crate is durable and is built to last, it is quite heavy and weighs approximately 30 pounds. If you plan to move the crate around often, you might want to take into consideration that it is quite a heavy haul.
In addition, many crates can be used for dogs and cats, however, the distance between the bars is wide enough that cats can reach through.
Keep this in mind if you are trying to keep pets away from one another. This crate may not work for you the purposes of keeping animals apart.
When shopping for a dog crate, there are many things to keep in mind before making a purchase.
Some initial considerations should include the type of crate that you need, the size, necessary features, safety mechanisms, and manufacturer warranties.
When deciding on a crate, it is important to take into consideration the material that the crate is made of. The reason for this is that the type of crate material you choose will play a pivotal role in how you use it.
For example, if you purchase a plastic crate, you can most likely use it for transporting your pet via airplane.
However, if you purchase a metal crate, you may not be able to use it in the same way as the plastic crate.
To assist you in choosing the best crate for your needs, here is a brief description of each crate type and how it can be used.
Best for dogs who have a thicker coat and are in need of consistent air circulation to stay cool, the wire crate is a good choice. Most are versatile and easy to lay flat which makes storing the crate a simple chore. A wire crate will also be easy to clean and take care of should your pup have an accident.
This type of crate is best for dogs that tend to travel often by airplane or like to rest in cozy spots within one’s home. A plastic crate may be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye but is less convenient in getting the pet out of the crate or in cleaning up messes.
Lightweight and easily portable, a soft crate is great for traveling in the car with a small dog. Other uses could include shopping at the mall, camping, or going on road trips.
Best for dogs who can be destructive or escape out of other types of crates without any problems. Some heavy-duty crates are approved for airplane travel, but not all.
Once you have determined the type of crate that you will need to purchase, you can then begin to explore other key features.
A crate with more than one door is great for several reasons. Perhaps you need to reach in to the crate and take something out such as a toy or a food dish?
Having multiple doors makes this easy.
Another great perk to having multiple doors is that you can easily get your furry friend in and out of the crate without much of a hassle.
Easy to remove plastic pan
When purchasing a dog crate, the option of having a removable pan or tray can be a major factor. The reason for this is that a removable tray or plastic pan makes the crate easy to clean.
This comes in handy if your pup has an accident or sheds a great deal. Simply take the tray out, clean it off with a towel and disinfectant spray and in a matter of minutes you have a clean crate again.
Other crates make it a challenge to clean up simple messes.
When purchasing a crate, it is important to take into consideration the ease of use and portability.
If you plan to take your dog on vacation or on a plane, it is important that you have your crate with you.
Being able to fold the crate and put it away while not in use is a great feature and one that should not be overlooked. Be sure to look for a crate that will not require the use of tools to put it together.
Believe it or not, paws can be sensitive and can become quickly injured if they were to get caught in a crate.
In addition to the possibility of getting caught in the crate, a dog may cut the pads on their paws by scratching at the crate door.
This feature is paramount to owning a good dog crate. Your crate should have more than one locking mechanism for the best results.
Most crates offer a double locking mechanism that will keep your pup in the crate and safe from harm.
If your dog is one who enjoys escaping, it is in your best interest to look for a crate model that is made to deter a Houdini-like escape.
Some owners prefer to use zip ties or other methods in addition to the standard lock feature that comes with their crate of choice.
Best Dog Crates FAQs
Are the crate doors removable?
No. The crate doors are not removable.
What size crate do I need for my dog?
Sizing can vary based on dog type, weight, and personality. If you own a dog that is smaller than 40 pounds, a 30”x24” crate should work well for you. However, if your dog is closer to 100 pounds, you will want to invest in a crate that is at least 42”x30”.
Do I need to get a crate with a removable plastic tray?
You don’t have to get a crate with a removable plastic tray however, it will save you a great deal of time and effort if you need to clean up a mess or sweep out dog hair.
Can I use this crate with animals other than a dog? Perhaps a cat?
If you want to use this type of crate for your cat, you will need to determine if your cat will be able to stick their paw between the bars. If so, you may want to invest in a different crate that is more suitable for a cat as to prevent injury to your pet.
Can I keep my wire crate outdoors?
This is not advisable as the wire crate may rust over a period of time.
There are many dog crates on the market that make it a challenge to determine what is the best one to buy.
If you are looking for a sturdy, well-built crate that offers versatility, convenience, and comfort, consider the EliteField crate.
With an additional 1” of room compared to competitors, this crate is durable, transportable, and offers 3 doors, a removable tray for easy cleaning, and is guaranteed by the manufacturer.
If you are interested in a great crate that can offer a safe environment for your dog while staying on a budget, consider the AmazonBasics Folding Dog Crate. This crate offers a double locking mechanism, a removable tray, and a sturdy frame at a value price.