Indestructible, chew-proof dog beds are one of the most innovative accessories for your pup. When compared to regular dog beds, these beds are a big step up. They are designed to be durable and strong, with the ability to withstand even the most rambunctious dog.
If you have a dog that loves scratching or chewing everything, including his bed, the answer may be to get him an indestructible dog bed. They are normally made using sturdy, premium fabrics and foam. They are not only strong, but also comfortable, providing support for your pooch.
With the wide variety of dog beds available on the market, it can be tough to choose one for your pup. Read on to find out our top 5 recommendations as well as our buyers guide and frequently asked questions.
Indestructible Dog Bed Reviews
Dogbed4less Large Memory Foam Dog Bed
Just because your dog is older doesn’t mean he doesn’t still chew things. This bed is the ideal place for your older dog to rest his weary body while being sturdy enough to withstand his chewing.
This large pillow bed is made using shredded memory foam and is made for easy care and lasting comfort. The polyurethane foam is mixed with premium poly-fill to give the mattress maximum resilience while also providing support and durability.
The bed has a breathable waterproof inner cover that keeps the stuffing secure, while the tough 1680D ballistic nylon cover boasts double stitching. The cover is machine washable and can be tumble dried, so cleaning the cover is quick and easy.
The 6 inch thick insert supports dogs up to 60 pounds, and the shredded foam ensures that your pooch has a breathable, cool bed to sleep on. The bed is resistant to scratching, chewing, hair, dirt, water, and odors.
- LARGE 41" X 27" PILLOW - Handmade in USA top quality shredded memory foam pet bed is designed for lasting comfort and easy care. Mixed with new premium poly-fill and shredded polyurethane foam for maximum resiliency and loft to achieve the best comfort and support in balance.
- 2 LAYERS OF COVER - The bed comes with breathable waterproof internal cover to secure the stuffing and a stronger nylon fabric external cover in seal brown color with extra stitching to prolong the life of the bed, wash after wash. The removable external cover is machine washable / dry-able.
- HEAVY DUTY NYLON COVER - Super duty 1680 nylon external cover utilize our strongest fabric which resists light scratching, water, hair, dirt, and odors but not chew-proof rated. The breathable internal zipper cover is water proof on 1 side and water resist fabric on bottom side to allow the air circulation into the foam stuffing.
- ORTHOPEDIC SUPPORT - 6" thick overstuffed insert will support your medium large pet up to 60 lbs. Please choose XL or XXL size for larger dog. Our mix shredded memory foam stuffing allows better airflow between foam clusters for a cool, breathable sleep surface.
- HIGHEST QUALITY - Premium materials, smart features and quality construction providing the perfect cozy dog pillow with superior durability while ensuring the body is properly aligned without painful pressure points to relieve achy joints, arthritis and hip dysplasia. Try it yourself and you will love it too! Fits 42 x 28 inches crate.
What I like
The premium materials, high-quality construction, and smart features provide your bed with a cozy yet durable bed that will align and support his body while ensuring that it won’t fall apart the moment he starts scratching or chewing.
What I don’t like
If you have a particularly adamant dog, he may be able to chew through the bed with only a bit of difficulty. The bed also changes in shape if your dog jumps on it a lot.
PLS Pet BIRDSONG Heavy Duty Dog Bed
If you are looking for a dog bed that is as durable as it is comfortable, then this orthopedic bed may be just what you are looking for. Plus, if your dog loves stretching out, he will love this bed.
This bed has been made with 3 main concepts in mind: heavy duty, waterproof, and orthopedic. You can easily move the bed, which makes it great for traveling with your pooch.
The Birdsong bed can be used both inside and outside, including on tiles thanks to the waterproof and skid-resistant bottom. You can purchase this bed in 3 different sizes to suit your dog’s needs. This bed can be used for dogs up to 80 pounds.
The durable cover can be removed and machine washed, and can withstand your dog’s chewing, biting, and scratching. The firm foam is medical grade and is great for supporting your pup’s joints while soothing any pressure points. The whole cover is made from 1680D Oxford fabric which is waterproof and very strong.
- THIS ITEM IS ON OVERSTOCK SALE UNTIL AUGUST 15TH. Orthopedic dog bed. Foam dog bed. Size large is 47"L x 27"W x 5"H and is recommended for pets upto 80 lbs.
- Heavy Duty: Durable fabric cover for multiple washes and strong against the strikes and bites of the dogs.
- Orthopedic dog bed: Medical grade firm foam supports joints and soothes pressure points.
- Waterproof dog bed: The cover is made of 1680D waterproof oxford fabric including the bottom side.
- Easy-clean: The cover is fully removable and machine-washable.
What I like
The handy zippers are hidden under the bottom of the mattress, ensuring that your dog won’t gnaw on them and chew through the material to the filling inside. The bed is ideal for dogs who like to stretch out without being confined.
What I don’t like
Some owners complained that the mattress is a bit too overstuffed, creating a somewhat hard and uncomfortable bed for older or injured dogs.
Blueberry Pet Heavy Duty Dog Bed
There is nothing better for your dog than to snuggle into his bed at night. Of course, some pups also love chewing their beloved bed. This product provides comfort and durability for your pooch.
This comfortable dog bed allows your dog to cuddle into his favorite position or stretch out and relax. The bolsters create a border around the edge of the bed, creating a warm and inviting space for your pooch.
The micro-suede and canvas fabric is thick and scratch resistant; however, very persistent dogs will be able to scratch and chew this bed, so it is better suited to light chewers. The bed is stuffed with 100% recycled environmentally-friendly microfiber, which is both durable and comfortable.
The cover is removable and machine washable. The YKK zippers are very strong and make it simple to remove the cover for cleaning. The cover can also be tumble or air dried.
The bed has a step-in design with a double thick mattress that is great for supporting your dog’s body. You can purchase this bed in a variety of colors, including pink and beige, red and beige, and blue and beige.
- External dimension 25"x 21"x 10", internal dimension 14"x 11.5"x 5.5", weight 6 Lbs; Please add extra 6-12" to the length of your dog in favorite sleeping position to confirm the bed size. Designed like a sofa, this lounge bed provide a soft and cozy place for your pet to rest and relax
- This sophisticated bolstered dog bed will be delivered with Rolled up cover. Unwrap the cover and stuff it. For a better bed shape, be sure to flip the stuffing before you get them into the cover.
- Made of thick microsuede fabric, scratching-resistant. Filled with 100% Recyclable eco-friendly micro fiber. Ideal blend of comfort and durability
- Microsuede soft cover is fully removable and washable. The durable YKK zips makes it easy to unzip the bed and toss the outer COVER into the washing machine for a deep clean. Machine-washable with similar color items in cold water on the gentle cycle. Tumble dry
- Picture was taken from a 25" x 21" x 10" bed
What I like
This bed is machine washable and can be tumble dried, which makes cleaning it simple and quick. The mattress is firm but plush, giving your dog a supportive, soft place to rest.
What I don’t like
Some users reported that the bed was very difficult to assemble as they could not get the pillow into the zippered compartments. The bed is also smaller than some owners expected.
Fiksu Pets Heavy Duty Elevated Pet Bed
If you are looking for a durable pet bed that also offers your dog a comfortable sleeping spot that is off the ground, this heavy duty bed may be just what you are looking for.
This pet bed by Fiksu Pets is very durable and breathable. The sturdy steel frame supports strong polyester mesh that can handle your pup’s claws and teeth. The frame is made from stable and strong rectangular steel tubing.
This bed can support dogs up to 100 pounds, so even large dogs can enjoy a comfortable, strong bed. The surface of the mesh bed is raised for good airflow, allowing your dog to stay cool during summer months. The 6 inch elevation offers plenty of space for fresh, cool air to move.
You can wash this dog bed by hand or in the washing machine using warm water and gentle soap or detergent.
Your dog will be able to sleep on any surface as the bed is suspended. He will not have to sleep on lumps or bumps from rocks or sticks, and he will not be bothered by ants or bugs, ensuring his comfort.
- MADE WITH A BREATHABLE, EXTREMELY DURABLE PVC COATED HIGH STRENGTH POLYESTER YARN MESH. FINALLY a dog bed that can handle your dogs claws!
- FRAME IS MADE FROM RECTANGULAR STEEL TUBING to make for a very stable and VERY DURABLE raised bed.
- Fiksu Pets is a USA company that WILL make sure you are satisfied with your product as well as your experience.
- We aim to improve the relationship between pet and owner so you can be the person your dog thinks you are!
- SIZE: LARGE. Mesh size: 30" X 40" and 6" above floor. Outer dimensions of legs: 30.25" X 44.75". Typically for Dogs up to 100 lbs. Weight limit on Bed is 100 lbs.
What I like
The elevated bed keeps your dog comfortable while also being durable enough to withstand his scratching or chewing. However, the mesh material will discourage him from chewing the bed.
What I don’t like
Some users complained that even though the bed has a 100 pound weight limit, their lighter dogs at 70 to 80 pounds bent the frame when being a bit rough.
PetFusion Ultimate Pet Bed
The bolsters around the edge of this bed form a comfortable boundary around the bed for your dog to enjoy. The durable material can support large dogs and discourages your dog from chewing.
This pet bed boasts a solid 6 inch memory foam base that offers reduced joint pain, extra comfort, and improved energy, mobility, and health. The bolsters are made with recycled polyfill made from 35% cotton and 65% polyester.
The cover is tear resistant and waterproof, and the base is non-skid which ensures that your pup will not get hurt when climbing on and off the bed. The slate grey color of the bed blends in well with most home décor. You can also purchase replacement covers separately.
The outer cover is removable and machine washable. The inner liner is waterproof and filled with memory foam that is soft and sturdy. The cover is easy to spot clean and remove pet hair.
This bed is well suited to large dogs weighing up to 200 pounds. There is also an extra-large pet blanket sold separately is a great match. This pet bed has passed European safety standards, and the cover material has been certified as safe for skin contact. The bed also comes with a 2 year warranty on any manufacturer defects.
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS: (i) Solid 6" memory foam base for superior comfort, reduced joint pain and improved health, mobility & energy. (ii) Calming bed for dogs who suffer from anxiety. (iii) Recycled 'green' polyfill bolsters generously filled. (iv) Durable & comfortable polyester (65%) & cotton (35%) twill
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Base & bolsters provide optimal support and comfort. (II) Water resistant & tear resistant cover. (III) Non-skid bottom. (iv) Blends in seamlessly with your décor. (v) Replacement covers available separately
- EASY TO CLEAN: (i) Removable outer cover is machine washable. (II) Waterproof inner white liner surrounding memory foam mattress (III) Simple to spot clean & remove hair
- IDEAL FOR THE LARGEST DOGS: (i) 50 x 40 x 13". Can easily hold 200+ LB. (II) Extra large pet blanket available as a perfect match
- PEACE OF MIND: (i) Passes stricter European REACH safety standards. (II) Cover fabric certified as 'skin contact safe'. (III) 'Bolsters' pre-loaded into cover, simply insert memory foam base and zip closed. (iv) 24 month warranty on any part that is broken due to manufacturer defect
What I like
The bed is large enough for your dog to stretch out on. The bed is easy to assemble and super simple to clean. The polyester/cotton cover is machine washable.
What I don’t like
Some users were concerned about the strength of the seams when their rambunctious dogs jumped on the bed. Others also complained that the zipper can be a bit finicky.
When looking at indestructible beds, the biggest consideration is the construction. Even the best materials can fail if the bed is badly constructed. However, there are a few other features to consider when choosing an indestructible dog bed.
Key Feature #1: Features
The main feature to look for in an indestructible dog bed is seams that have been double stitched. This will provide additional reinforcement and support. Another feature is beds that have multiple layers in the cover construction. This means that your dog will have to get through more than just one layer to get to the filling inside.
While waterproofing is not a vital feature, it is helpful if you want a bed that can be used indoors and outdoors, as well as with older dogs that have incontinence issues. Plus, if you have a dog that loves chewing, he will probably gnaw away at his toys while lying on the dog bed, covering it in drool.
Key Feature #2: Condition
No matter how long you have owned the bed for, it should always be kept in good, clean condition. If the bed starts getting tatty and torn, it gives your dog a loose end to grab on to and chew or rip. If you are purchasing a dog bed second hand from someone whose dog did not like a certain bed, check that it is in like-new condition and that it is not frayed, torn, or ripped.
Key Feature #3: Dimension
The shape and dimension of your dog’s bed will depend on what your pup prefers. If your dog likes sleeping in a curled up position against the edge of the pillow, a smaller soft, bolstered bed will work best. If your dog loves stretching out and rolling around, then the more space and room to move, the more comfortable he will be.
Key Feature #4: Dog Sizes
When looking at indestructible dog beds, you will be spoiled for choice in terms of sizes of bed. Of course, you want to ensure that the bed you purchase is the correct size for your pup. Too small and your dog will feel cramped and uncomfortable, too big and he may feel anxious. However, typically, bigger is better than smaller.
In general, the bed you purchase should be around 8 to 12 inches longer than the length of your dog from the tip of his nose to the base of his tail. If your dog likes moving around a lot, you can purchase a bigger bed. If your pooch prefers to curl up and be in tighter spaces, you can get him a smaller bed.
Key Feature #5: Materials
The material used to construct the dog bed determines how indestructible the bed will be. While you naturally want to give your dog a bed that is comfortable, it is useless if the stuffing is lying all around your home. These are the main material used to make indestructible dog beds:
Ballistic nylon – 1680D ballistic nylon is the same material as what backpacks are made from. Technically, this material is not indestructible, but it is chew-proof due to dog’s not being interested in chewing it. Plus, it is very durable when it is chewed.
Canvas – This material is not as durable as ballistic nylon, but it does not naturally encourage your pup to chew it. It is still very sturdy and strong, though, so if your dog has a nibble, it should be fine.
Denim – This is less durable than both canvas and ballistic nylon, but a pooch that has never chewed on denim toys will normally not gnaw on denim.
Key Feature #6: Weight
Indestructible dog beds should weigh more than a normal dog bed. This means that the bed can hold a larger dog while also not moving when your dog jumps onto or rolls around on the bed. Plus, having a bigger (and weightier) bed will help your dog feel more secure and calm. When the bed weighs more, it also makes it more difficult for your pup to pull it around the house or garden and tear it apart.
Indestructible Dog Bed FAQs
Question 1: How do I make an indestructible dog bed?
Indestructible beds normally need to be made from strong canvas or nylon materials with a strong and sturdy frame that won’t break when jumped on and can’t be chewed up too easily. If you would like to make an indestructible dog bed, watch this video:
Question 2: What is the most indestructible dog bed?
It is tough to determine which bed is best as this is dog-dependent. The most indestructible bed is the one that can resist destruction by your pup’s teeth and nails. The most indestructible dog bed will be able to resist your dog’s teeth, jaws, and claws.
But the best bed will be made from a durable material such as canvas or ballistic nylon, should be double stitched, and should be sealed with very strong Velcro or a double zipper.
Question 3: How do I make a Great Dane dog bed?
As we all know, Great Danes are massive dogs, which makes buying them a proper sized bed very tough. Luckily, in the following video, you can make a bed for him at home. The video shows you how to make a bed with two pillows; however, you can make the bed as big as you need to for your pup.
Also bear in mind that you can use any outer material that you would like, and that you should always double stitch the seams of your dog beds (this tutorial does not sew the seams together, but this is a vital step):
Question 4: How do I wash dog bedding?
Most dog beds are made with removable covers that can be hand or machine washed. Always wash your dog’s bedding, including his blankets, using a cold or warm – not hot – cycle and mild pet-safe soap or detergent.
If your bed can be dried in a tumble dryer, this is a great way to quickly get the bed back to your pooch. Otherwise, let the bed cover and blankets completely air dry. If you can wash the whole bed including the filling, the drying process is very important to ensure germs don’t breed.
Question 5: How do I make a dog cot bed?
If you find that your dog prefers to sleep on a cot bed that is raised of the ground, the good news is that you don’t have to spend an arm and a leg to buy one if you just want to test it out first. The following video will show you how to make a dog cot bed in just a few easy steps:
In the same way that people need a comfortable place to sleep, so does your dog. Unfortunately, some dogs like to chew everything they come into contact with, including their bed. And, while mats and blankets may suffice for some dogs, chewers need something that will last a bit better. The 5 dog beds we have reviewed are comfortable and durable, allowing your dog to have a safe, sturdy place to rest.
While all of the beds on this list are great options, our favorite is the PLS Pet BIRDSONG Heavy Duty Dog Bed with its heavy duty, orthopedic, and waterproof build. The strong 1680D Oxford fabric cover is machine washable and the non-slip bottom ensures no injuries. This bed is suitable for dogs up to 80 pounds.