One of the great advantages of the internet is that it has allowed for the creation of products which just a few years ago would have seemed like science fiction. One such product is the pet camera, which allows pet owners to see, and in some cases talk to, their pets when not at home, or even in another country.
So that you can learn more, we are going to review five of the best pet cameras currently available, then you can choose which one is right for you and your beloved pet.
Best Pet Camera Reviews
Tenvis Wireless IP Camera
This wi-fi connected pet camera has high definition video which produces high-quality images allowing you to see your pet clearly.
The key to how good or bad any camera product is will be the quality of the images it produces. Thankfully, the Tenvis camera produces images which are outstanding. They are sharp and vivid, so you can view your dog and see exactly what they are up to.
Even after dark, you will be able to see them, thanks to the camera’s exceptional night vision function. This can produce images of an object up to 32 feet away, which is one of the best night vision standards we have seen.
The camera is motion activated so it switches on as soon as your dog appears in the camera’s field of view. This means you can set it up as a security camera, too.
If you wish to speak to your dog when you are out you can do so, thanks to the two-way audio function. This means you can also be alerted to them barking and thus calm them with your voice.
- 【FULL COVERAGE WITH 720P HIGH DEFINITION. TENVIS HD IP Camera is designed with 355°horizontal and 120°vertical rotation to make up a 360°complete coverage. 1280*720 Mega Pixels and high-tech optic lens present sharper images. So just enjoy fluent and the clearest video! In addition, you can add as many cameras as you want on your APP to monitor several locations, due to our onvif service.
- 【AUTOMATIC NIGHT VISION WITH 32FT/10M LARGE RANGE. TENVIS Night Vision Camera supports a night vision range up to 32 feet/10 meters, which could act as a deterrent against theft, burglaries, and vandalism. With the breakout of core technology "Smart Eyes" , this home security camera provides a stunning clear vision through 11 infrared LED light without disturbing your baby or pet!
- 【INSTANT ALARM AND TWO-WAY AUDIO FOR REAL TIME COMMUNICATING. With the help of smart camera, every potential danger will be identified accurately and sent to your phone and email immediately. Then you can talk to your baby/pet/nanny immediately when you receive the notification. Our noise elimination of the built-in microphone could provide a responsive and advanced talking experience.
- 【3-SECOND SENSITIVE MOTION DETECTION RESPONSE. This motion detection camera could record a 15-second video when it is triggered, and let you receive the alarm in less than 3 seconds. So you can always catch the important moments no matter it is your baby or a theft. Further, you can even set up to 8 specific positions for TENVIS dome camera to memory and then visit any of them by one touch.
- 【SMART AND STABLE ONE-CLICK CONNECTION TO WI-FI. With our technology of "Sound Wave Smart Connection" you can finish the Wi-Fi configuration in just one click! Our latest app provides a instruction video, so you won't be confused about the process. Besides, you can also start and stop recording videos through your cell phone anytime anywhere. Please note: This home security system supports 802. 11b/g/n 2. 4Ghz Wi-Fi band (does not support 5Ghz Wi-Fi).
For a pet camera with this many functions, the price of less than $40 makes this product outstanding value for money.
Setting the camera up is not the easiest and the instructions that come with it don't really do anything to solve that issue.
CHECK LATEST PRICE ON AMAZON.COM
Wansview Wireless 1080P IP Camera
This is a quirky looking camera which offers great images, two-way audio and can be preset up to 8 different pan, tilt, and zoom settings.
Some cameras are very limited in the number of position and zoom settings, but not the Wansview pet camera. This has multiple pan, tilt, and zoom settings, and you can preset 8 of them so your camera will automatically go to those settings when you select any of them.
To communicate with your dog, especially when they may be distressed, there is two-way audio. You'll hear them bark first, then you can pacify them by speaking to them. It's also handy if you see them doing something they shouldn’t and want to tell them to stop.
Night vision works up to 20 feet, so you can see what your dog is up to even if you are out for the evening or just want to check on them after you have gone to bed.
Set up is quick, especially in relation to the wi-fi connection. Once connected, you can operate the camera via the app which is compatible with iPhone, Android, Apple, or PC so you have both mobile and computer options.
- FULL 1080P HD VIDEO CAMERA: Wansview full HD home camera with 1920*1080P resolution at 15fps,the living stream can be accessed via iOS/Android mobile Phone, Windows PC and Apple Mac Software and third party softwares supporting ONVIF, like Blue Iris and iSpy.You may use it as a baby monitor to view your baby even you are outside home.
- Reliable2.4G WiFi CONNECTION: Quick WiFi setup via "Wansview Cloud" App on iPhone or Android smartphone(5G is not supported ) Wireless security camera supports remote access via mobile App anywhere and anytime. This security camera has Micro SD card slot (max 128GB supported), the videos can be saved and replayed on App without taking card out of camera in LAN network. Cloud storage is optional, if camera is stolen, you can check your cloud video to see what happened.
- SMART PAN/TILT/ZOOM CAMERA: This wifi ip camera provides wider viewing angle with horizontal 350 degree(pan) and vertical 76 degree (tilt) with 4x digital zoom function for complete coverage of your home. There is 4 presets which can be adjusted to some places and zoom to make it bigger to see.
- CLEAR TWO-WAY AUDIO& NIGHT VISION: Remotely talk and listen via mobile App even in the dark with the IR LED night vision up to 20 feet.So you can keep in touch with your baby when you miss him and want to talk to him. This home security camera gives you fantastic night experience even in pitch dark and full protection to see the whole room at night - not just a limited spotlight view at anytime of day or night. It also can be used for shops, meeting room, pets,nanny, elder monitor.
- INSTANT ALERTS AND FRIENDLY SUPPORT: With the motion alert enabled, the security camera will send an instant alert to your phone with a 10s alarm video. Yon't miss any important thing in your house. IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS, PLEASE contact us through Amazon seller-buyer message. Our friendly and effective after-sale service will put your worries aside.
The camera can support video recording 7 days a week and 24 hours a day, so you will miss nothing that happens.
The interface could be more user-friendly, and it does take some time to become familiar with all its functions.
CHECK LATEST PRICE ON AMAZON.COM
Arkmiido Pet Monitor 1080P Wi-Fi Camera
This is a small but very impressive pet camera which has great images, two-way audio, and can be set up to be accessed by multiple users, so all the family can check on your dog.
One of the most impressive features of the Arkmiido pet camera is the field of vision it has. It can be rotated a full 355° to give a complete view of the entire room.
This view can also be achieved when the lights are out, as it can produce images of anything moving up to 20 feet away using its night vision function.
Communicating with your dog is made possible when you are out, via the two-way audio which can alert you to any noise they are making. If they are distressed, you can speak to them and hopefully get them to calm down with the tones of your voice.
The camera does not just have wi-fi connectivity, as it can also be connected via Bluetooth. One fun way to use this is to play music for your dog via the camera, or you could record your voice and play that to them whilst you get on with your activities.
- 1.【355°Horizontal Rotation】： Touch the screen to select the surveillance field of view, pan or tilt to get a better view
- 2.【Two Way Audio+Bluetooth Music Play】：Build in speaker and mic, you can chat with pets and play music for them
- 3.【Smart Alarm】：With the function of motion detection, every potential risk will be identified accurately and sent to you immediately
- 4.【Night Vision】：20m ultra infrared night vision, see details in every place you want to see, even through in a dimly lit environment
- 5.【Application】：Dome Camera can use for pet monitoring, home security and surveillance, office monitoring etc
You can enable multiple users via the camera's interface. This way you can arrange for them to monitor the camera if you are in meetings and unable to access your mobile device
The install instructions are somewhat confusing and seem to assume everyone who buys the camera is a techie.
CHECK LATEST PRICE ON AMAZON.COM
Toguard Wireless Security Camera
Although branded as a security camera, this has everything you need to use it as a pet camera to see and hear your dog, any time of the day.
There are plenty of cameras that have motion detection, but not all offer sound detection too. This Toguard camera does, so even if your dog is out of view, any noise they make will activate the camera.
Anytime your dog is alone at night may be a time when you are particularly keen to see if they are ok. If they move, the camera will switch on and you will still be able to see them thanks to the camera’s night vision ability, which has an impressive range of up to 30 feet.
Hearing your dog is one thing, but even better is when you can speak to them too. You can do so using the two-way audio function which either allows you to speak to them or play a recording of your voice.
A great feature is the ability to record video not just in terms of your pet, but for security purposes as well. With this camera, you can either record to an SD card, or better still, to the ‘Cloud' where you can access and view it from any location or device.
- 2.4G WiFi CONNECTION EASY SETUP - WiFi setup via App "CareHome" on iPhone or Android smartphone. It supports remote access via mobile App anywhere anytime, make sure High-Speed stable internet connection. This wireless security camera can only work with 2.4Ghz WiFi router, not support 5GHZ. If your router supports both band, please close the 5GHz wifi connection before use the camera.
- HD 720P HIGH RESOLUTION VIDEO - This wireless security camera provides you the best 720P high resolution video recording quality, which Shows off every detail in brilliant clarity. Enjoy fluent and clearest videos.
- MOTION & SOUND DETECTION - Real-time alerts of sound or motion keep you informed while you are away.When motion is detected then alarm will be triggered, instant message will be sent to you automatically, please remember to allow "CareHome" app to send notification on your device.
- TWO WAY AUDIO & NIGHT VISION - Built-in speaker and microphone allow talk and listen between the camera and APP, so you can communicate with family, friends and your pets on mobile devices while monitoring. Built-in I 4 pcs IR LEDs offer good clear video at night up to 30 feet, you can monitor even in dark surroundings. You will never miss any moment.
- CLOUD RECORDING & MICRO SD CARD RECORDING - The security camera support 2 ways recording. By Cloud storage function, this wireless security camera can record and upload images to the cloud real time without memory card. Save on cloud drive, no need to worry the safety of your data even the security camera is stolen. By Micro SD Card, you just need to insert a Micro SD Card(max 64GB) after cloud service trail ends.
The field of view range is excellent with 355° horizontally and 180° vertically, meaning there are virtually no blind spots.
The camera is 720 megapixels which puts it behind many other comparable cameras who go up to 1080 MP
CHECK LATEST PRICE ON AMAZON.COM
Furbo Dog Camera
This is a camera that both dog owners and the dogs themselves are going to love, not least because it allows you to dispense treats to your dog, even when you're not there.
Let's start with what is certain to be a popular feature...at least with your dog, it will be. It has a dog treat facility which means you load in small treats and then using the app on your mobile device, tell the camera to toss out a treat whenever you want it to. Now you can reward your dog for being good even if you’re at work or out socializing.
On these same occasions, you can chat with your dog, and this will sometimes be initiated by them. It has a 'bark alert' sensor, which will notify you anytime your dog is barking, allowing you to chat with them and relax them.
There is also a unique set of functions which are called Smart Dog alerts. There is 'Dog Activity Alert', which lets you know when your dog is up to no good, such as chewing furniture. The other is great fun, as it takes a 'selfie' of your dog when they are sitting in front of the camera and sends it to you.
- 1080p Full HD Camera & Night Vision: livestream video to monitor your pet on your phone with a 160-degree wide-angle view, day & night.
- 2-Way Audio & BARKING ALERT: Furbo's BARKING SENSOR detects when your dog is barking. It sends push notifications to your smartphone when it detects barking. Know what's going on at home and talk to calm them down via the app.
- Fun TREAT TOSSING: TOSS a treat to your dogs via the free Furbo iOS/Android app. Fill it with your dogs' favorite treats & play a game of catch.
- Easy 3-Step Setup: 1) plug in to a power outlet using its USB cord 2) download the Furbo app 3) connect to your home wifi.
- Stable internet connection & Wifi signal are recommended for best performance.
This camera can work in conjunction with Amazon Alexa, which offers all kinds of voice-activated options and services.
The Wi-Fi range is disappointingly short which limits the locations you can place the camera
CHECK LATEST PRICE ON AMAZON.COM
Resolution and Viewing Angle
The higher the resolution of the camera, the better the images are going to be. The standard should be at least 780 megapixels, with some of the better cameras offering a resolution of up to 1280 megapixels.
Most cameras will have an SD slot where you can connect a suitable memory card to store videos and images. There are some cameras which also allow for cloud storage which allows you to access images via the internet.
Night Vision Capabilities
The times of the day when you wish to monitor your dog will not always be during daylight hours. Night vision means the camera can produce clear images after dark or when light levels are low.
Sound & Motion Detection
Most pet cameras have motion detection which means as soon as your dog moves in front of the camera it will start recording. Better cameras also have sound detection which activates when your dog starts barking, even when out of the line of sight of the camera.
This allows you to speak to your dog as well as hear them. Being able to calm them if they are distressed is one use of this feature. It can also be used to play them music, or a recording of your voice.
Best Pet Camera FAQs
Question 1: Does a pet camera let me watch my dog when I’m not at home?
Yes, it does. You could be in another city or country, and if you have internet access you can log in and watch your dog live on screen if they are in front of the camera.
Question 2: Can a pet camera give my dog treats when I am not there?
There are some pet cameras that do, which you load with treats before leaving home. When you want to give your dog a treat you log in, select the treat option, and the camera will dispense it.
Question 3: Can a pet camera be used as a security camera?
It can. They have movement and in some cases sound activation which switches the camera on. If someone enters your home, it will send you an alert. You can then call the police to investigate.
Question 4: How do pet cameras connect online?
Virtually all pet cameras use your normal Wi-Fi router to connect to the internet. Always make sure the frequency of any pet camera you are considering is compatible with your router frequency.
Question 5: Can I talk to my dog using a pet camera?
If the pet camera has two-way audio you can, in much the same way you use your mobile device to talk to someone. If your dog hears your voice it can help settle them, so it is a great feature.
We loved reviewing pet cameras, which might have something to do with the fact that we love dogs. The cameras have both a serious and fun element to them, so there are plenty of reasons why dog owners would want to buy one.
Having checked them all, we believe the best pet camera is the Furbo Dog Camera. Admittedly, it’s at the high end of the price scale, but it will soon justify that once you and your dog are both using it.
Unlike the other cameras, your dog can be rewarded with treats dispensed from this camera, plus it can sit in front of it and have a selfie taken. How much fun is that?
It has both sound and movement detection, produces good quality images, and it can also be used in conjunction with Amazon Alexa. With it being super-easy to set up and used with any mobile device, we are happy to recommend it to you and your dog.